Learn to Quilt
The perfect introduction to Quilting available as a 1-day or 4-week course.
To attend this workshop you should be able to use a sewing machine independently (i.e. thread a machine and sew a straight line). If you are a complete beginner you should attend Make Friends With The Sewing Machine before this workshop.
This workshop builds on your basic sewing skills and prepares you for joining a local quilting group and/or trying more advanced techniques.
You will learn:
- Choosing suitable fabric for design and sewing level.
- Necessary equipment/threads
- Cutting accurately with a rotary cutter and ruler
- How to build a design
- How to piece and nest point accurately
- Adding a suitable border, butting, mitred etc..
- Different types of wadding and building a quilt sandwich
- Method of fixing sandwich
- Quilting techniques (not free motion)
- Methods of binding
Beginners' workshop, a 1-day, 6-hour course. Fabric is required. You will need 3 fat quarters (fabric measuring 50cm x 56cm)
Please bring a packed lunch for the day workshop.